Sunday, March 4, 2012

What Happened?

The more experience I get as a teacher the more incredulous I become about the misinformation, the culture, and the blame regarding public education.  A lot of fellow teachers get angry, but I find myself wondering, "How did it become like this?"

I remember when I first started teaching and the excitement I held in the prospect of getting my students excited about the unlimited possibilities in learning:  The questions and then the adventure in finding the answers;  The problem solving and the wonderment of how things work;  The discovery of finding new skills and interests.  

Now I wonder how I can push more things into my students brains, so that they can score well on a test.  It has become less about the adventure and more about the task of learning how to remember all of the details that I teach every day.  The students are being programed, not to think, but to regurgitate an answer or a process. 

Like most teachers, I agree that we need standards; I agree that we need to make sure that all students get the same opportunities; I even agree in assessment!  I just don't believe in punishment for a school, teacher, or student doesn't happen to get something like linear equations in fifth grade.  You know what?   The world doesn't end if a 10/11 year old doesn't learn each concept the week we have to teach it. 

You know what is more important?  A student who becomes a good citizen and learns responsibility.  This is something that cannot be seen on a test, or even on a report card, but it is something that will allow a student to be a successful American. 

 Question: Can a person be successful if they don't know slope and y-intercept?

2 comments:

  1. Answer: of course not how are they going to plot their course through life! (sarcasm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I like the above joke :). Yes, that particular standard really irks me! I empathize with you, Drew! I hope a better day will come, and meanwhile, I know you are one of many teachers in your district, who despite the struggles, fights to stay motivated, and values his students enough to exemplify and teach character traits/values and tools of learning, not just facts and concepts. Thank you for your dedication and investment!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete