Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Parent/Teacher Conference

Recently there is a lot of hub-bub about a school across the valley from me that hasn't met their achievement goals in the last five years.  An outside group decided to come in and get the parents involved in changing the school to a charter.  The parents were outraged that the teachers were blocking this 'improvement' of the school.  The teacher's union started to work against this motion created by the parents.  That is all I know about it.  There is probably a lot more.  I do not know the circumstances behind the school...What were their goals and were they reasonable?  Were the parents involved in the school while it was not meeting its goals?  What were the teachers, the administration, and the students doing to meet the goals? 

Obviously, I have an opinion regarding this.  I could go on and on about the requirements to meet the goals set forth by our highly trained educators aka our politicians.  I could explain the difficulties of teaching in a culture that has already been labeled as a 'failure'.  There is something with greater impact for success than anything: Parents. 

In California education code it states that every school needs to have a School Site Council in which each school's teachers, parents, and principal get together to talk about how to reach the goals that they themselves set for the school.  They determine how the money at the school is spent and how that money is used to meet the goals they set in a school site plan.  The parents are a vital part of this council.  In fact, the parents are the ones that vote down my request for a SMART board and now an IPAD every year that I request one.  :)  Why do they vote me down?  Because it would only benefit my class and not the other 1,170 students at our school.  They instead have bought a writing program for our school, so that we can meet our writing goals that they set up in the site plan.  Every student now has a 6 trait writing textbook and can learn ONE program in each grade level, instead of each teacher having a different writing program.  This way I know what to expect when a student enters my room in regards to their writing skills.  I can use specific vocabulary that I know they understand and can relate to.  The council did this for the school.  Parents did this for the school. 

I could go on about the involved parents that have made a difference at Sundown.  They have read with the students, shown up to do field days, practiced math concepts, hung bulletin boards, prepared arts and crafts for colonial days, donated paper, bought cookie dough and other fundraisers, donated supplies, etc.  We have a PTO that gives teachers funding for field trips and supplies when the state is cutting our programs.  The parents make sure that we have a Science, Reading, and Math Family Nights, after school tutoring, Mathletes, Science Olympiad, Santa PJ Night, Movie Nights, etc.  This involvement is what makes the students do well.  I have noticed a trend.  The parents that volunteer and are involved are the parents with the best students.  They are better behaved and try harder. 

 My ultimate question regarding the school that did reach its goal...what did the parents do for five years as their students didn't pass the tests given by the state?  Did they get involved on the site council and make a difference?  I don't believe that a private company needs to take over a school.  I think parents need to take over a school. 

  

PS...For us Christians:  God wasn't taken out of schools.  Our impact was diminished (can’t say He left) when some of the Christians stopped being volunteers, or took their kids out of public schools.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Drew, this was so insightful, and I agree completely. My children's grades were directly related to my involvement. The more I was there, the higher grades they got. During the divorce, when I was struggling emotionally, they slipped. But in the last year, I have been on them like I was in elementary and middle school, and they are both A students again.
    It's not easy, and there are days when I am so tired I just want to say "Seriously?!? You didn't do your homework and it's 9pm?" But instead, I take a deep breath, give them a hug and say "What can I do to help?". Supportive, non-critical parent involvement in school not only makes for better students, but for better people. I think my children are proof of that.

    ReplyDelete